General Questions

Are vaping devices allowed to be used at CVUSD schools?

Vaping devices are not permitted on CVUSD campuses. The District follows Education Code 48900 (h) as it related to devices discovered on campus. For more resources and information on this topic - click here

Who do we contact or get approval from for a flier to go out to schools?

Per CVUSD Administrative Regulation 1325, all requests for flier distribution to CVUSD schools must receive approval from the Assistant Superintendent, Instructional Services. Please review AR 1325 in its entirety for details regarding flier approval.

How do I obtain a copy of my high school diploma or an official transcript?

The CVUSD high school that you graduated from should be able to assist you with this request. General contact information for all CVUSD schools may be found here:

Where can we view the days where CVUSD schools are closed (such as an event in where a fire starts)?

When CVUSD schools close districtwide for unforeseen circumstances, such as fires, the information is sent to all families of students enrolled in a TK-12 school via e-mail and phone. The information is also posted on the Conejo Valley Unified School District’s Twitter, and Facebook pages. During the duration of the closure(s), the information is also prominently posted to the CVUSD website homepage, as well as the homepages of all TK-12 school websites. 

Does the Conejo Valley School District have any elementary schools that are designated peanut/nut free? If so, which ones?

The CVUSD does not have any schools that are peanut or nut free. However, every elementary school does offer a peanut/nut free zone or table for student use.

How do I submit an application to rent a CVUSD facility?

We have moved our facilities rental application to a web-based program called Facilitron. Here is the link to get to the website. Once there, you will need to create an account by clicking “Sign Up” in the top right corner. After creating the account, you can then search for a facility or venue type and see what dates and times the venue is available. You can then add them to your cart and continue with the reservation request.

What reasons for absence does CVUSD consider excused?

CVUSD adheres to Education Code and corresponding Board Policy and Administrative Regulation when excusing absences. Whether a student’s absence is excused, or unexcused, the absence remains in the student record.

My son missed the TK cutoff by about a week. In this district once the child turns 5 are they allowed to join a TK class if there is availability at the families current school?

Typically, we do not deviate from the birth dates of July through December 2 (July 1 – September 1 can apply for TK or K, September 2-December 2 can only apply for TK). Our Instructional Services Department has received dozens of calls from parents of children whose birth dates are in December (and January and February, etc), and they have been informed that they do not qualify. Nevertheless, some have applied anyway, so we have their information. This is a topic we will be discussing with our Board of Education soon.

Why do the Board Agendas continue to have board member censure requests from the public?

Please see the response from our attorney regarding public request for board member censure and why these requests (anonymous or not) have been placed on the agenda.

The mandate that request be placed on the agenda is contained in Education Code section 35145.5 which states, in relevant part “it is the intent of the Legislature that members of the public be able to place matters directly related to school district business on the agenda of school district governing board meetings.” The section further mandates that governing boards adopt regulations to ensure that this mandate is carried out. Also, there is nothing in the Code that mandates the requesting party be identified on the agenda.

To this end, the Board has adopted Board Bylaw 9322, which states, in relevant part:

A Board member or member of the public may request that a matter within the jurisdiction of the Board be placed on the agenda of a regular meeting. The request shall be in writing and be submitted to the Superintendent or designee with supporting documents and information, if any, at least two weeks before the scheduled meeting date. Items submitted less than two weeks before the scheduled meeting date may be postponed to a later meeting in order to allow sufficient time for consideration and research of the issue.

The Board president and Superintendent shall decide whether a request is within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Board. Items not within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Board may not be placed on the agenda. In addition, the Board president and Superintendent shall determine if the item is merely a request for information or whether the issue is covered by an existing policy or administrative regulation before placing the item on the agenda.

The Board president and Superintendent shall decide whether an agenda item is appropriate for discussion in open or closed session, and whether the item should be an action item subject to Board vote, an information item that does not require immediate action, or a consent item that is routine in nature and for which no discussion is anticipated.

When the District receives a request to censure a Board member, the request is first placed on the agenda for discussion to determine whether the Board desires to move forward with a censure resolution. If such a desire exists, a censure resolution is developed subsequent to the meeting and placed on the agenda for a future Board meeting. This practice is consistent with the practice of many district’s throughout the state.

Pursuant to the Education Code, Board Bylaw, and District practice described above, when this request was received, it was placed on the agenda for discussion at the upcoming meeting. Only if there is a consensus by the Board to move forward with a censure resolution will one be prepared and presented at a subsequent meeting.